CODDS, MINERALS & SODAS FOR SALE
The following bottles were once used as containers for a range of mineral waters or soft drinks. They are all now highly collectable, and part of the fascinating history of "pop" or soda. Today you have a choice of a can with ring pull or a plastic bottle of varying capacity which has a plastic external screw-cap. Take a walk back in time and look at some of the fascinating bottles you could have been drinking out of 100 years ago. You can buy them too !!
Please note prices, both in £ sterling and US $ DO NOT include postage. These bottles are made of thick glass . If anything interests you please use the hot e-mail link at the foot of the page to reserve any item here for two weeks. We can then package your order, determine the postal charges and then get back to you with just one bill
COLOURED CODD BOTTLES
Coloured glass codds have always been extremely popular with collectors in the UK. To turn the glass into any colour other than aqua required the addition of extra chemicals. This made such bottles more expensive than the commoner aqua varieties, hence they were not used by many companies.Coloured codds are known in every shade of green and brown/amber glass. Most highly prized are the blue codds, ranging in colour from light or petrol blue to deep cobalt. Beware purple codds ! They were never manufactured by the glassworks and have been "cooked" to produce the false colour. There are also "colourless" codds - clearglass codds that is! Here are a few coloured codds that we have for sale at present
1. 10 oz sparkling mid emerald green The Scarboro & Whitby Breweries with the famous two dolphin pictorial. Super sparkling condition and the embossing is strong. Has small burst air bubble ding on the rear and small white air spot on the front but look at that strong COLOUR !!! £95 or £150 (postage extra) SOLD - BUT let us know if you wish for us to find you one !
2.10oz deep amber,slight hint of olive green Groves & Whitnall Ltd Salford. This is the variant with the embossing down the side of the bottle £18 /$30 SOLD
3. 10oz medium amber Groves & Whitnall Ltd Salford. Embossing details as above £20 / $35 SOLD
4. 10oz golden amber Groves & Whitnall Ltd Salford. Embosssing details as no 3. £25 / $40 SOLD
5. 10oz Honey amber Groves & Whitnall Salford, Globe trademark in the centre. Fabulous shade of amber £25 / $40 SOLD
6. Small size light amber codd for Groves & Whitnall Salford, embossing is around and over the globe trademark. £25/ $40 - AVAILABLE !
7. 10oz amber Leigh & Co, Salford. Globe trademark on reverse.Mid amber shade.£15 / $25
8. 6oz Amber Leigh & Co Salford. Globe trademark on reverse. Mid amber as above £15 / $25 SOLD
WE now have a full collection of coloured minerals that took some 15 years to amass. ALL bottles are from the company of GROVES & WHITNALL SALFORD who had a subsidiary mineral water company called LEIGH & CO until 1899 . In that year, Leigh & Co ceased to exist as it was absorbed into the main company and from that date the company's bottles were all embossed - Groves & Whitnall Ltd. (a very useful dating aid) some of the bottles here are complete one offs, rarer than a cobalt codd !!
1. Rare shape non-shouldered beer/mineral for Leigh & Co Salford, large globe trademark and all embossing in a circle. £10 / $20 SOLD
2. Very scarce early hand tooled crown cap beer/mineral for Leigh & Co Salford. It is NOT ABM and MUST pre-date 1899 !! £10 / $20
3.Small light amber Lamont or bullet stopper mineral with original wooden internal stopper present. Large globe and embossed Leigh & Co Salford down sides £20 / $35 SOLD
4. Large honey amber Lamont or bullet stopper, details as above £20 / $35 AVAILABLE
5. Large amber cylinder with a blob top. Large globe trade mark and embossed Leigh & Co Salford down sides. £10 / $20 SOLD
6. Small golden amber Groves & Whitnall Salford early hand tooled crown cap. Details as above. £15 / $25
7. Small size golden honey amber dumpy seltzer / soda embossed Groves & Whitnall Ltd Salford. No trademark this time but what a great colour !! £15 / $25
PATENT CODD BOTTLES AND OTHER MINERALS / SODAS
In 1872 Hiram Codd patented the first ever globe stoppered or marble-in-the neck mineral bottle. He took out a patent to protect his invention, preventing anyone making such bottles without a license. Other manufacturers followed suit creating their own different marble bottles and taking out a patent for them. One such was the CONNORS PATENT. This was for a pear shaped rather than the usual round marble in the neck - the idea being that small boys would NOT break such bottles in the search for cheap marbles. Very few companies used the Connor's Patent, making them a rare bottle. Here are some for sale
1.. 10 oz aqua Codds Patent 4 Rylands & Codd (dates to 1877-1881) embossed Collins & Latham Barton £15 or $25 SOLD
2.10oz narrow neck codd embossed – JAMES LINGARD & CO on front and CODDS PATENT 6 LONDON on rear. Slight surface scuffing and cloudy inside so.. £15 or $25
3..10oz narrow neck codd embossed – S LINGARD & CO SALFORD on front and CODDS PATENT 4 LONDON SE B.RYLANDS BOTTLE WORKS NEAR BARNSLEY on rear. External glass condition is good but cloudy patches inside. Dates to BEFORE 1877 £15 or $254.
4. 10oz narrow neck codd embossed A CRAVEN HULME MANCHESTER plus on rear - CODDS PATENT 4 RYLANDS & CODD MAKERS STAIRFOOT BARNSLEY £15 0r $25
5..6oz narrow neck codd embossed – THE EXORS OF M POMFRET ALBION WORKS BURY plus on rear – CODDS PATENT 4 LONDON SE B.RYLANDS BOTTLE WORKS NEAR BARNSLEY. Dates to BEFORE 1877 £15 or $25 SOLD
6. 6oz narrow neck codd embossed - JAMES LINGARD - S LINGARD SALFORD plus on rear - CODDS PATENT 4 MAKERS RYLANDS & CODD BARNSLEY. Dates to between 1877-1881 - £15 or $25 SOLD
7...6oz patent codd embossed – WALKER & HOMFRAY LIMITED SALFORD and on rear – SHAWS PATENT 6875/07. This was a patent to help prevent breakages in the weak marble chamber – note the glass reinforcing rings. £10 or $20
8. .6oz fancy codd variant embossed SNOWDROP LYON & CO MANCHESTER. This codd has a fancy fluted base and two glass rings on the lip. Some slight grazing on the flutes but this 6oz is much rarer than the standard size. £10 or $20 SOLD
INTERNALLY STOPPERED MINERAL BOTTLES
Here we have quite literally a good selection of "ODDBALL" mineral bottles for you !!
1.Full size stick stopper patent embossed – BARRET & Co MANCHESTER & LONDON on the rear – ADAM & BARRETTS PATENT JERSEY. Carries a pictorial of a bottle and a stopper. This patent was registered in the 1860’s !!Note a small chip has been ground or polished down on the base. Price £25 or $40 SOLD
2. EARLY 1870’S GLASS BOBBIN STOPPER embossed – MANCHESTER COFFEE TAVERN CO. An unusual mineral – one small cloudy patch -£15 or $25 SOLD
3. VALLETS PATENT BULLET STOPPER mineral. Embossed on the front – P H CORT MANCHESTER and on rear – VALLETTS PATENT LIVERPOOL . Excellent condition £10 or $20
4. Small aqua GLASS BULLET STOPPER mineral. Embossed – HANSARDS GENUINE AERATED WATERS MERTHYR with HANSARDS again in big letters down the bottle. Very unusual to see a bullet shape stopper made from glass. £10 or $20 SOLD
As well as a whole host of differently shaped codd bottles, the mineral water trade was also awash with a multitude of different types of other bottles. Many had strange internal devices or stoppers to prevent the gas from escaping from the bottle. We will bring you some more pictures and probably place them in our A-Z reference area.
Please let us know if you are looking for any particular mineral bottles - they are a good category for searching for a bottle with YOUR SURNAME on ! Use the hot link below to contact us to reserve any of the bottles above or seek more information.
E-mail for orders or information Bygonz@yahoo.com